Thursday, January 17, 2013

the dining room: currently

Because the old house was not officially on the market during our house-hunting trip,
we had to get the seller's permission to go inside. While waiting to hear back, hoping we said enough to convince him we were perfect new owners, we peered through every window we could reach.
The view of the dining room was enough to sell us on the house.

- two months before we moved in -
The built-in's appear to be original. They have settled enough that a few of the drawers do not open (it's on the list). The beveled mirror is worn and peeling in a few spots. My hubby looked at it and said we could just replace it. I gave him my "you will have no say in this" look. The mirror is old and beautiful and will stay.

The light fixture was not attractive. Held up by a carabiner, pieces would break off when my daughter danced around in the room above. The windows do not open easily and will soon be replaced.

The room is bright all day, so it handles the color well. I replaced some of the cabinet hardware with hexagonal, glass knobs. The hinges will get replaced as well, and I am still looking for the perfect knobs for the end cabinets. I have many ideas for the long, piano wall and I can't seem to settle on a rug.

I hesitated before posting this. The room is not finished.
I rarely know exactly what I want to do with a space, so I start with a color or a find at an antique fair.
I am fickle when it comes to my decorating style. I took this picture yesterday and today it looks different.
My point is, go for it. You can always add, change, take away or rearrange (my hubby's favorite).
Yep, I need to change that lampshade.

- currently, well mostly -


 in the details:
Vintage style rotary knob found here.
Vintage bulbs can be found at hardware stores and online.
Wall color is mark twain ombra gray from the valspar collection.
Buffet inset color is filtered shade from the valspar collection.

1 comment :

  1. Your dining room is gorgeous. I thought it was pretty spectacular to begin with, but to see how much you've done to it and how it's turned out is just amazing. I especially love the paint color you chose, and the light fixture too!

    ReplyDelete