Sunday, February 3, 2013

weekend trip

We left on Friday afternoon to visit my Grandpa who is almost 90 years old.
We spent time looking at pictures of the old house and talking about about our work thus far and our
renovating dreams. The old house was built only a few years before he was born.

My Grandpa lives in the cape cod house he built in 1954. This is the house my Mom grew up in.
I have not been to the house for many years, and it is mostly unchanged. I walked up the stairs holding onto the chipped, bright green railing, running my other hand along the velvet-flocked, damask wallpaper- the same as I did every time I skipped up and down those stairs as a kid.


I sat next to my Grandpa in the living room yesterday. He listened to the chatter and so did I.
When I closed my eyes, I could hear my Grandma's footsteps on the old floor. She was coming from the kitchen to sit in the chair and read her book. She always fell asleep.
My Grandma died many years ago; she was there the last time I was in the house.

Most of the time, I don't think we realize how much one person will affect our life. I don't think we
realize how much they will mold us.

- koko and bubpa -



2 comments :

  1. The house was built by Grandpa, Uncle Bob, and Dad the year I was born, 1954. There are many reminders of Grandma in the house and her spirit is present in us/with us. Glad Koko warmed up to Bubpa! Great Grandpa loves the babies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know your new location is your ideal spot, but it definitely has some perks - being next to family is one big one!!!

    ReplyDelete