Thursday, February 7, 2013

master bedroom: currently

Our next project is the master bedroom- our bedroom.
We take on every other room in a house and leave ours. We say we will get to it, but never do.
Our bedroom in AZ was a source of stress for me. It was a big room with tall, bare walls. We used whatever furniture we had left from other room makeovers. The room was clean and uncluttered - empty.

We have found ourselves in the same situation in the old house.
All of my clothes that were piled up on the floor, along the wall, have been put away in my new closet.
The grays and yellows I thought I wanted two years ago followed us, and we have another empty room.
I want a room that is inviting, romantic for us, but also cozy. I want a place I can snuggle up and read my book and read books with the kids. I want to want to spend time in our room.

- our bedroom, currently -

* * * * *
 Why do I hesitate to start the master bedroom project? (besides the obvious need to finish up
the boys' room renovation first, oh- and the entryway shoe closet)
With other rooms, I go for it. I paint the walls, hang and rehang pictures and accessorize with my antique fair finds (love those littles!). Everything comes together. I know my style, right?
When I scroll through all of the lovely blogs, pinterest, and my numerous catalogs,
I am drawn to rooms like this-

- pic from here -
- pic from here -
- pic from here -
- pic from here -
- pic from here -

I think I have always been drawn to rooms like this.
I call it urban chic and eclectic with, perhaps, a bit of bohemian flare. I have tried to steer myself away
from color, but I like color. I like an odd mix of furniture styles, colors and textures.
This style was not easily achieved in our stucco slab home in the dessert. Maybe that is why our bedroom remained empty and functional.
No excuses now. I have the 92-year-old house with wood floors and charm.
It's time to jump in and create a room we love.



list of things/pieces desired for our room:
area rug with a southwestern flare- Google kilim area rug and you'll get an idea
new ceiling fan (yes, ceiling fans can be cool)- there is an amazing one I have my heart set on
mirrored nightstand - perhaps this is more traditional or contemporary, but I want one
white bedding
white, built-in bookcase(s)
a space for my necklaces, earrings and lipgloss

* * * * *

No comments :

Post a Comment