Wednesday, February 27, 2013

plants: part two

Confession:  I have 17 houseplants.
Sometimes feel like I have to sneak them in. They get a new pot and then get tucked into a cute spot somewhere in the old house. Hubby does not always notice.
Confession:  I feel like the old house needs many more. Here is my justification why:  They are friendly and vibrant. Not only do they add color and cheer to your house, they can be used in your decor. AND, they clean the indoor air- seriously. Google it or read about it here, here and here.

We spend so much time inside. The furnace hums all winter. The AC cranks out the cold air in the summer. We are exposed to toxins and chemicals from carpet, furniture, paint, cleaning products,
even the materials that hold our houses together.
Maybe two plants per 100 square feet (hubby- these are scientific findings!) seems excessive for you. Confession:  It does not seem excessive to me. I encourage you to at least consider adopting a few plants for the spaces where you spend the most time- living/family room and kitchen.
A plant never looks out-of-place in the kitchen.


Here are a few of my newest plants-



* * * * *

And here are a few ideas I love!
First photo from BHG. Second photo from a fun blog a friend told me about. I am for sure going to do my own succulent centerpiece for the old dining room.


* * * * *

Confession:  The old house has 42 windows, 38 of which are drafty (I can seriously feel a breeze on my hands from the two windows above this desk). Perhaps our indoor air quality is a little better than others, but I am still going to meet the plants per square foot standard.


1 comment :

  1. I was thinking that the old house probably get plenty of fresh outdoor air :-)

    ReplyDelete