Wednesday, March 27, 2013

terrarium


Do you ever get fixated on something?
That was me today. I sacrificed folding laundry and dusting to make a terrarium. You all know by now that
I love house plants. I love plants and gardening, outdoors and indoors. I think my mind and body are antsy for spring and being outside, so this is what happens.

This took most of my morning and you know what- I don't love it. Do not let this deter you.
I was also playing with Koko and met with the landscape guy that may help us lay out the plan for the new patio (but that is this whole other story). I tried the terrarium on the built-ins, the mantel, the dining room table, and finally I figured out that it's the container I do not love. I've been looking for a an old glass jar, but haven't found the right one. And so, today's terrarium fixation landed me with a new, craft store jar. Dang it.

* * * * *

Okay, here's what you need:  glass container (I recommend holding out for the right jar), gravel or stone, activated charcoal pieces, potting soil, moss and terrarium friendly plants.

And here are the steps to follow:  The gravel goes on the bottom, which allows for drainage.
Then add the charcoal. Charcoal filters the air in a closed terrarium, so it's not needed if yours is open.
Then add soil and your cute plants- this link will give you good plant choices.
Moss is last and holds in moisture. I bought clumps of moss at a local nursery. You can also use sheet moss.

Maintenance:  Keep your terrarium in a place where it will get indirect sunlight. If you see too much condensation in your closed terrarium, it's probably getting too much sun. Change the location. You can air it out, too. Your closed terrarium really should not need water- it has its own climate.

Feel the soil before you water an open terrarium. Too much moisture is bad. It's bad for either type of terrarium. Watering should be a sometimes activity- error on the side of too little water because you can always add more. Like any other plant, you can prune your terrarium plants and remove dead leaves.


Perhaps you are wondering why I bother with this post.
I guess I hope that one of you can relate to my morning. And, at least now you know how to make your
own terrarium! It was easy and fun, and I plan to make more. Yes, I am frustrated about the container, but I will keep looking for the right old jar and then replant.

 

p.s. I think it would be fun to have a planting party where everyone can make a little terrarium or plant their favorite container with fun succulents.

* * * * *


No comments :

Post a Comment