Friday, June 14, 2013

plant friday: coleus (and vinca)

I always wanted coleus in my garden, but it is not a plant that thrives in AZ.
I tried to stick with plants and flowers that could withstand the AZ summer and winter (desert winter). Most of my pots there were filled with perennials. I did have several pots with annual vinca, though, (read about
vinca here) and it was six years old! I would cut it back every spring, along with my perennials, and it would come back and look amazing. These pots were gifted to friends when we moved away.

 Just a side note; there is a perennial vinca, but it is more of a vine and ground cover. We have quite a bit
of it here at the old house. Okay, so back to my original topic:  coleus. I am, perhaps, a little bit
obsessed with it. There are many beautiful variations of color and leaves. I prefer the trailing kind; it looks great in pots. I have worked this fun plant into most of my summer pots this year.

From what I know, it will do best if it is grown in partially shaded or mostly shaded areas.
Summer conditions in the new city are tropical; it is humid, and the old house is shaded by tall, lush trees and landscaping. So yes, the plants are doing well. I also learned recently, that some coleus plants bloom purple flowers, but if you want seasonal longevity from your plant, pinch the flowers off. Read here and here for
good, quick info about this attractive, fit-in-anywhere plant.

* * * * *

- our back patio - two varieties shown here -
- found this pot at a yard sale, $2 -
- planter on patio railing - trailing coleus (two varieties) and begonias -
- love this! - i found the photo here -
- perennial vine vinca, annual potted vinca (white) -

* * * * *

p.s.  more of my flower photos can be seen in previous posts here and here

- please send me photos of your garden, flowers and/or pots- i would love to share them! -

No comments :

Post a Comment