Friday, July 19, 2013

plant friday: hydrangea

 I have always wanted hydrangeas in the yard; they are the quintessential summer flower.
And now, I find myself living in a climate they love.
With the garage and patio complete, we are slowly working on landscaping. Perhaps, I have said this before- if you can stand to, wait until fall to purchase your perennials and shrubs. You will get a great deal, and come spring, well, your planting work will be done.
In this case, I couldn't stand to wait. I wanted hydrangeas in this spot since the day we moved in.
Two nights ago, hubby helped me plant them. It was only nine (okay, that's late). We have been working
late nights outside all summer, so what's another.


Hydrangeas do well with some sun, even a few hours of filtered sun should be enough.
The dense blooms last a long time and pruning is easy. The variety we planted is called limelight. They can get quite tall and hedgy, which is exactly what we want for this space. When pruning next spring,
we will only trim dead branches/stems and clip off the dead blooms. When we planted ours, I used a plant starter. This stuff works! Click here for more info and pick it up at your local nursery.

I found this blog. Check out the beautiful pictures of limelights and the helpful info.
This website: (click here) also has good information to get you started with your hydrangeas.

- our limelights after an early morning thunderstorm -
 

* * * * *


No comments :

Post a Comment