Monday, May 20, 2013

weekend spontaneity

By Friday afternoon I am completely spent.
Most Fridays we have family pizza-popcorn-movie night, but I had no energy even to make pizza.
I had already decided I wanted to get take out. Hubby called though and said we had been invited for burgers at our friends/neighbors house. Sold! I love spontaneous get-together's! I think life often gets in the way when we try to make official plans. It doesn't mean we shouldn't try or that we don't need get-together's,
but allowing ourselves to be spontaneous means those get-togethers end up being
much needed and more fulfilling.

Speaking of spontaneity, I was at the Saturday morning farmers market and got a text from our babysitter saying she was available that night. I guess I texted her a week prior to set up one last date night before she moves away to start life in the real world. Apparently I forgot, but thankfully she remembered.
Hubby and I got an impromptu date night, and I need to tell you, we had the best Thai food! It has been since our Seattle years that Thai food has tasted so good. Our favorite dishes:  pad see ew, panang curry.

* * * * *

Much of Saturday and Sunday was spent in the yard cleaning up and planting flowers. The children helped and also logged several hours on the neighbors' swing set.

Sunday brought thunderstorms, so I decided to bake. I made blueberry muffins and strawberry rhubarb pie. The muffins are one of my usual recipes, but this was my first strawberry rhubarb pie. I crafted it while hubby and our neighbor (remember Bruce?) fixed our leaking kitchen sink. The fix has been needed for a few weeks and Bruce just happened to pop over yesterday. It was crowded in the galley, but I persevered and the pie was a success! I even shared a few generous slices with Bruce and his wife. I wish I could pay for
all the work on the old house with baked goods.
 
- picked up the rhubarb at the farmers market -
I had to patch the crust and I didn't get the pie crust shield on early enough. It looks rustic I think. I used the Joy of Cooking as my guide for tweaking the filling, and the crust is a recipe my sister uses for her
dutch apple pie. Like Bruce said, any day is a good day if you have pie. I also think any day is a good day with a little spontaneity.

* * * * *

1 comment :

  1. Looks yummy! I want to make one once we're settled in MO!!

    ReplyDelete