Tuesday, October 1, 2013

disappointment

Why do we set ourselves up for disappointment?
Why do we expect the worst, but hope for the best (fingers crossed)?
I know I am writing about something that has long been pondered. I can sit here and list off numerous situations in my life when I have wrestled with expectations, or tried not to have any.

We tell ourselves not to have too many expectations or too much hope and excitement.
But, are we any less disappointed, crushed or hurt when it doesn't work out? Is the pain of rejection, miscarriage of a baby, failed cancer treatment, forgotten or neglected important days, and the pain of things not working out as we thought they would, eased any by our preparedness? For me, the answer is no.

But I believe disappointment serves a purpose. Without it, we lack resilience.
Without it, we lack motivation and perseverance. I do not want to dim my hope to guard against the pain or sadness of disappointment. Perhaps, when we do this, we are robbing ourselves of the full and pure joy
we can experience when our hopes and expectations are fulfilled.

What I know:  We all face disappointment, and at times we may feel like we cannot escape its grip.
Even in the face of disappointment, we have hope.

* * * * *

You know, I have hesitated over publishing this post for a few weeks now.
I am not sure why. Maybe it's because all of those we's are really I's, and that is personal; it is more
personal than most of what I share.

The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.
Psalm 34:18

* * * * *

No comments :

Post a Comment