Monday, September 23, 2013

vestibule: an update

Dear readers, did you again think I gave up on blogging?
I am sorry, but I cannot promise this long pause will not repeat. September is proving to be a busy, busy month for this family. I have a backlog of posts, some started and some still in my head, and I have
decided that the easiest posts for me (right now) are those about old house projects.

We are currently working on smallish projects at the old house. Remember this previous post about the vestibule? Let me be the first to tell you:  if you can figure out a way to work a shoe closet into your entry way, do it. No shoes strewn about the house. No, "mom, where are my shoes?" The one problem, that I cannot believe did not cross my mind, is a little bit of an odor. You know, kid shoe stink. It wasn't a problem last fall and winter, but consistently hot days brought consistently smelly shoes.

I am getting way off subject... Please know, we have tackled the problem with regular shoe cleaning, airing out of the shoe closet (never when people are over), and lots of baking soda.

So, all of that to say, that the rest of the vestibule is finally getting a make over. We pulled up the faux brick linoleum and hauled the heavy, original french doors up from the basement. The doors, by the way,
we noticed when we first looked at the old house last summer. While in the basement, we peeked into the dark and a little creepy coal room. Along, with many other treasures,we found the vestibule doors!

progress pictures:

- last july -
- fresh out of the basement with decades of storage dust and grime -
- cleaned up, but in need of repair and replacement hardware before they can be installed -
- white tile sample is leftover from the bathroom, i had it there to help me visualize -
- under the linoleum - the condition looks much better in this picture -
- $9 vintage mirror from local thrift store -

here's the plan:

There is a guy here in the new city who has an architectural antiques business. We bought our vintage
door and windows for the new garage from him. We have enlisted his help again for glass replacement (one of the small, lower panes on each door is broken), as well as repair. Wood is splitting at the bottom of
each door- expected for their age, but sad. We will also need new door knobs and hinges.
No problem, right? Ha. I will save those paragraphs for a later post.

The vestibule will also get a fresh coat of paint and a tile floor. I promise we will do it right and protect the original wood floors. We intend to install vintage-style, hex tile, which is appropriate to the era in which
the old house was built. Check it out here.

Sounds good, right?!

* * * * *
 in the details:
thank you, hubby

No comments :

Post a Comment