Tuesday, September 10, 2013

the market

I feel fall fast approaching. In fact, I have been told by many new-city-natives that
the cicadas' hum is an early warning of frost- a siren, perhaps. And, while I love the fall season for cardigans, crunching leaves under my feet, football games, wide open windows and a new menu, there are things of summer I struggle to let go. The Saturday morning, local farmers' market will soon end and so will their fresh, beautiful produce savored by our family in the old house, all summer.

The early hours of Saturday mornings I reserve for my own time.
This summer, I've spent these early morning hours with my friend, Jessica. We are running and training for
a half-marathon and like to hit the trail before the sun is up. I know I am deviating a bit from topic,
but running at this hour, witnessing the sun's rays reaching out over the fields of corn and beans and prairie land, has presented powerful and humbling moments. It is me and the Lord.

Our post-sunrise run routine is local coffee and a stroll through the farmers' market, chatting and
filling our bags with goodies for the week ahead. There is nothing better than warm sun shining on your face, coffee in hand, and the perfect medley of market sounds and smells. And, of course, those feelings of a day started before most, complete with a sunrise blessing and His shining grace.

 * * * * *

We are regulars to our favorite farmers. Father, Lord thank you for their worn hands and their devotion to cultivating, harvesting and sharing the riches of the earth.

* * * * *

a few images from the market-

- don't you just want to buy the whole bin! -
- best eggs ever - we stood in a long line for the strawberries! -
- the best watermelon we've ever had came from the back of this truck -
- tomatillos and poblano before i turned them into salsa verde -
- and there's that best-ever watermelon! -
- here i purchased a beautiful hanging basket and many succulents -
- another morning haul - the peaches were amazing! -
- purple chinese long, green, and dragon tongue beans -
- all from the market, including edible flowers and goat cheese -
- my rustic rhubarb (rhubarb from the market) pie -
- all fresh from the market, including the ingredients in my pico de gallo! -
- weekend cooking and baking with my farmers' market goodies -


* * * * *
in the details:
i am happy to share recipes - send me a message
(salsa verde, market salad, rustic rhubarb pie, pico de gallo, cucumber vinegar salad)

2 comments :

  1. Love your blog, doubleLs. You are a talented writer and photographer! I would love to come visit sometime and see the old house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Julie! Yes, please come visit!

    ReplyDelete