Thursday, August 22, 2013

something about summer

I realized today, that without thinking, I move through the old house in the mornings,
pulling open window coverings on half of our 42 windows. This summer when we had nothing but time,
I allowed myself to linger in front of certain windows, coffee in hand.

The kids went back to school last week. I dreaded that day.
You don't think about it as much at the beginning of summer; that day is still far enough away. You are
not saying to yourself with a pit in your stomach, we only have three more weeks. You say with relief,
we have a lot of days together.

I did not get tired of my children this summer, and I was not ready for them to be away from home.
We enjoyed our time together. We savored the moments we did not have last summer. Our season, our time, our opportunity for summer rejuvenation last year was consumed with packing and saying goodbye.
I think the children understood this. I think they felt it.

I wish I could tell you we have easily adjusted to our school year routine. I wish I could tell you
the first day of school this year was easier than last. This day marked one year. It has been a tough and exhausting year for all of us. I feel like I should explain, but you dear readers know the stories.

What I can tell you- I love my kids. They are strong and beautiful and full of life. I love my husband.
We have all needed to lean on each other this year, more than before. I do not know what our second year in the new city will be. And so, until the leaves turn and the air is too cool to keep shoulders bare,
we will live summer.


* * * * *

No comments :

Post a Comment