Friday, August 23, 2013

plant friday: shrub roses


- sunrise sunset variety, in vintage ball jars -
 Okay, I know I should not technically be pruning in late summer, but my three shrub roses were
getting a bit leggy. The few branches that needed to be cut had large clusters of blooms. I did not have the heart to just toss them in the yard waste, so I trimmed them up and put them in the house.
Not only are they beautiful, but they were super fragrant and lasted over a week.

There are almost endless varieties of shrub roses. Many do well in most climates or zones (click here to
find out which zone you're in). The sunrise-sunset variety I have is low maintenance, and mine have been
full of the vibrant blooms they are known for since June.

 I purchased and planted the roses last fall. Late summer to fall is the best time to buy shrubs like this.
You will get a great deal, and next spring your work is already done. They did look dead in the ground
when planted, but it was so great to watch them green up and bloom this summer.

One last thing, get out in your yard and clip what you think is beautiful. You don't have to have garden beds full of cutting flowers to make fresh, floral displays for your house. You might be surprised at how much cheer a small vase or jar full of one or many clippings can bring to your day.

* * * * *
 some of my summer clippings:

- from our lilac shrub -
- confession:  this is from AZ last summer -
- peonies clipped from my friend's back yard -
 

in the details:
this site has good information for pruning and fertilizing your shrub roses


No comments :

Post a Comment